The weather during the last few days has been incredible for February, allowing me to hit the river trail yesterday afternoon on my bike. Here are some impressions from my first full lap of the new season.
- When did Emmy throw up on my bike shoes?
- My 10 year old Surly 1×1 Rat Ride is still my favorite bike.
- The mountain bike trail was in fairly good shape, but the far side was spongey and moist. I walked the “haunted reeds” section because of mud. I call it the haunted reeds because that short run of the trail is a stand of sapling trees that always seems to be much cooler than the forest immediately preceding it. Every time I ride through the section, the hair on the back of my neck stands up and I have a little shiver.
- I am out of shape, but not as bad as I expected.
- I road without glasses for the first time ever, and hopefully the last time as well. The LASIK did not compromises my ability to see and react quickly while riding, but the lack of eye protection forced me to slow it down a bit in certain sections. I’ll be buying a pair of biking-specific glasses very very soon.
- I think it’s going to be a good season of riding this year. I can’t wait for more consistent temperatures so I can hit it for real.
- I need a new battery for my bike computer.